Vista Lutheran Church

4003 Wooddale Avenue South
Minneapolis, MN 55416


Builder: E. M. Skinner, 1956
Relocated and rebuilt by Gould & Schultz, Opus 17, 1991/1997
Manuals: 3
Ranks: 42
Pipes: 2409
Action: Electropneumatic

Notes: Prince of Peace Lutheran and Wooddale Lutheran (both St. Louis Park) merged as of 26 May 2019 at the Wooddale building under the new name of Vista. More information about the organ is below.

GREAT ORGAN
16' Contra Dulciana
8' Principal
8' Dulciana (ext)
8' Rohrflöte
8' Spillflöte
8' Spillflöte Celeste TC
4' Octave
4' Waldflöte
2.2/3' Rohrnasat (ext RF)
2' Flute (ext WF)
2' Mixture III-V
8' Cornet V TF
8' Trumpet
    Zimbelstern
    Chimes

SWELL ORGAN
16' Lieblich Gedackt
8' Geigen Principal
8' Salicional
8' Celeste
8' Holzgedackt (ext)
4' Principal
4' Nachthorn
2' Principal
1.3/5' Tierce
1.1/3' Larigot
1' Mixture III
16' Trompette (ext, new)
8' Trompette
8' Hautbois
4' Clarion (ext, new)
    Tremulant

POSITIV ORGAN (on rail)
8' Copula
8' Spillflöte (Gt)
8' Spillflöte Celeste (Gt)
4' Principal
4' Flöte
2.2/3' Nazard
2' Gemshorn
1.3/5' Tierce
8' Cromorne
8' Great Trumpet (Gt)
    Tremulant

PEDAL ORGAN
32' Bourdon (ext Subbass)
32' Lieblich Gedackt (ext Lieblich)
16' Diapason (ext Principal)
16' Subbass
16' Contra Dulciana (Gt)
16' Lieblich Gedackt (Sw)
8' Principal
8' Dulciana (Gt)
8' Flute (ext)
4' Chorale Basse
4' Flute (ext)
2' Mixture III (Gt)
32' Posaune (ext Trumpet)
16' Contre Trompette (Sw)
8' Trompette (Sw)
8' Great Trumpet (Gt)
4' Clarion (Sw)
4' Hautbois (Sw)

A brief history of the Wooddale Lutheran Church from James Robertson. 9/9/2013

The organ was originally built for Trinity Lutheran Church in Faribault, MN, by the Ernest M. Skinner Organ Company of Reading, Mass for $20,000. The instrument was dedicated November 25, 1956, by Paul Manz. The organ was built, installed, and voiced by Mr. Carl Basset. Carl Basset was Ernest’s long-time shop foreman and purchased the company upon Ernest’s retirement in 1949. At that time is was 17 ranks. The organ appears to have been one of the last built by Mr. Bassett and so is a late Skinner organ.

Gould and Schultz suggested that we rebuild the organ rather than attempt to restore it. The primary reason was that at Trinity, the organ was completely enclosed in chambers, which was impossible at Wooddale. The Great organ is now exposed. The Swell organ sounds most like the original, except at Wooddale some of the original principal extensions are independent ranks and the original Swell Trumpet (actually a Corne d Amour) was not for sale.

Wooddale Lutheran Church purchased the organ in 1990. Gould and Schultz rebuilt and enlarged the organ (to 23 ranks) and installed it as their Opus 17. The organ was dedicated by Prof. Steven Gabrielson of Augsburg College in November 1991. In subsequent years many gifts to the organ fund allowed enlarging the organ to three manuals and 42 ranks. This work was all completed by Gould and Schultz. The second dedication (especially of the Positiv division) was in November 1997, again by Prof. Gabrielson. More additions continued after that date.


Zimmer organ formerly at Prince of Peace