First Baptist Church

200 Lynn Avenue
Ames, IA 50014

Builder: James D. Trees Organ Co., 1949
(a combination of two previous instruments -- see below).
Manuals: 2
Ranks: Unknown
Action: Unknown

Notes: Information from James R. Stettner: This was a "combined" organ, created from the merger of a 1925 Austin (Opus 1318 from the Philadelphia residence of architect Frank R. Watson) and a 1895 Henry Pilcher's Sons organ, built originally for the Chapel in Morrill Hall at the Iowa State Agricultural College (now ISU). The Pilcher was relocated to the former edifice of First Baptist in 1915 (and last played there in 1949). Pipes from both organs were utilized. It is presumed that the Austin console and chests were used since the Pilcher components had not been saved. The combined organ was installed in the new church under the supervision of James D. Trees of Chicago, Illinois. Six ranks of the Pilcher were retained. The unused pipework from both the Austin and the Pilcher were sold to Frank Wichlac of Chicago on May 1, 1950.

Organ Historical Society as of 2010.

Editor's Note: When we found the console picture on the church's Facebook page and no evidence of pipes or chambers, we assume the Trees organ is no longer at the church and it was replaced with an electronic.