Zion (Swedish) Lutheran Church ELCA

1697 Lafond Ave W
St Paul, MN 55104

Builder: M.P.Möller Opus 2703, 1919
Manuals: 2
Ranks: 18
Action: Electropneumatic


History of Zion Lutheran Church (ELCA on Lafond Ave. W. in St. Paul, MN.

March 11, 1890 -- An organizational meeting was held. The first name was "Swedish Evangelical Lutheran Church of Merriam Park."

1911 -- Construction began on the present church building (on LaFond Ave. W.).

1921 -- Construction was completed, and the old property at Thomas and Fairview was sold. The name of the congregation was changed to "Swedish Evangelical Lutheran Church."

1914 -- Fire damaged the interior of the church, after which several changes were made in the building.

1919 -- A Moller pipe organ was installed.

1931 -- The congregation decided to have services only in English. The name was changed again changed to "Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church of St. Paul." Church membership was 835 adults.

1939 -- An acoustical ceiling and light fixtures were installed, and repainting was done.

1953 -- A new "church organ" was purchased and installed. [Ed. Wonder if it was electronic?]

1955 -- The balcony in the church was renovated.

1958 -- The ceiling in the church was renovated, a sound system was installed [Ed. Wouldn’t have been needed if carpeting wasn’t installed!] and interior painting was done.

1962 -- Zion Lutheran, as a member of the Augustana Lutheran Church, became part of the Lutheran Church in America. The Lutheran Church Women and Lutheran Church Men organizations were begun.

1965 -- The sanctuary was completely remodeled, including new pews, carpeting, altar and paraments.

1975 -- Audrey Landquist was honored for serving 25 years as organist at Zion.

1978 and 1979 -- Redecorating was done at the parsonage, including painting the basement and extensive work in the bathroom.

1981 -- A new Allen organ was installed. The congregation began using new hymnals, "The Lutheran Book of Worship."

1987 and 1988 -- A remodeling and repair project was undertaken and completed. The project included rebuilding the tower, tuck pointing the downspouts, painting the exterior trim, grading and landscaping around the foundation, repairing and painting the basement walls, new carpeting in the sanctuary, new carpeting in the parsonage, a new sound system in the sanctuary and additional speakers for the organ. In 1988 the sanctuary air conditioning system was repaired and put into working condition.