Saint Mark's Episcopal Church (pre-dates the Cathedral)

Sixth Street (between Hennepin and Nicollet Avenues)
Minneapolis, MN 55402

Builder: Hook, E. & G.G. , Op. 581, 1871.
Manuals: 3
Ranks: Unknown
Action: Mechanical

Notes: St. Mark’s Church was founded in 1858, as a mission of Gethsemane Episcopal Church, in downtown Minneapolis.

It was first located in North Minneapolis at Washington Avenue and 27th Avenue North.

In 1863 the original building was moved to the Minneapolis "city center" (at 4th Street and Hennepin Avenue) on a sled pulled by oxen.

It was incorporated as a parish on June 19, 1868, and occupied a new building on 6th Street between Hennepin and Nicollet Avenues (with a new Hook pipe organ) from 1870 to 1908.

Today's St. Mark's, designed by architect Edwin Hawley Hewitt (who was a parishioner), was built in 1910 on Oak Grove and Hennepin Avenue, overlooking Loring Park. It operated as a "parish" until the 1940s, when it was named the "Cathedral Church of Saint Mark."